Report reveals reason Gomes rejected ‘very good’ Man Utd offer
Posted On June 30, 2020
Angel Gomes has decided to turn down an offer to remain at Man Utd in favour of looking for regular playing time elsewhere, according to reports.
The highly-rated 19-year-old – who has been heavily linked with Chelsea – came through the Old Trafford giants’ academy and has made his debut aged 16 in May 2017, becoming the youngest player since Duncan Edwards to feature for the first team.
But Gomes has only made 10 first-team appearances and contract talks reached a roadblock, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer now expecting the Man Utd midfielder to leave when his contract expires on Tuesday.
FEATURE: Fancy some more Alphabet League action? Why not check out the Y-Team…
While far from a first-team regular, Gomes’ departure is a blow for a club synonymous with promoting homegrown talent.
And now The Athletic claim that sources ‘familiar with the talks’ have told them that Gomes was presented with a ‘very good financial offer’ from Man Utd.
An insider told the online publication that ‘it was his last day’ at Carrington yesterday as he said his ‘goodbyes’ to team-mates.
The report added:
‘Today (June 30) marks the date when United stop paying Gomes the month’s severance on his expired contract and a decision on his next club will come in due course. He is not believed to have a destination lined up as yet, but several teams are interested and a move overseas could be on the cards. Sources have played down Chelsea links.’
Gomes had been ‘reassured’ by Solskjaer that more opportunities in the team would be forthcoming during negotiations over a new contract but, after only playing 291 minutes this season, Gomes has decided enough is enough.
The Man Utd boss ‘rates Gomes highly but has different views on his readiness for first-team football’ and with no guarantees he will be in the team soon ‘that is why he is leaving’.
Click Here: Cheap France Rugby Jersey