As the coronavirus pandemic gained traction around the world, McLaren’s top brass hoped for the best but planned for the worst.
“We had been continually scenario-planning together with the team back in the UK, so we knew what our options were in the event of various outcomes.
“Andreas [Seidl] and I already agreed that if we had a positive case in the garage there was only one option.
“As I said before, as a racer it was the hardest decision I’ve had to take but as CEO it was the easiest. Our people come first and Andreas feels very strongly about this too.
“I’m happy to report that our team member affected with the virus is recovering well and the symptoms have gone and our people in quarantine are in good spirits.
“The support they have been getting from their team-mates, our partners, members of the F1 community and fans from around the world has been fantastic and our thanks go out to all of them.”
In McLaren’s update, Seidl underscored the “character and coolness” of McLaren leadership team of Stella and technical director James Key, and praised the attitude of drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris.
“They have been obviously concerned about their team-mates,” Seidl said. “We have to keep them physically away from the rest of the team, even though they are both fine, but they are in constant communication.”
With fourteen men missing from its workforce, dismantling the McLaren garage and packing up equipment entailed a massive challenge. But the Woking-based outfit received a helping hand from its supportive neighbors in the pitlane.
“We also appreciate our fellow teams in the paddock, who offered immediate help on Friday to dismantle the garage and pack the freight, which was obviously a challenge for us missing 14 of our core guys,” said Seidl.
“This is the spirit of F1 and racing we all embrace.”
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter