First-years win titles for Auggies at St. Cloud State Husky Open
Posted On July 12, 2020
ST. CLOUD, Minn. — First-years Ryan Epps (FY, Cannon Falls, Minn.) and Owen Webster (FY, Shakopee, Minn.) claimed individual titles for the Augsburg College wrestling team, two of nine placewinners for the Auggies at the St. Cloud State University Husky Open on Saturday. No team results were kept at the open meet, held at Halenbeck Hall.
Epps improved to 7-0 on the season with four victories on Saturday to claim the title at 149 pounds. He opened his tournament run with a second-period pin, then won three matches, including a major decision, over St. Cloud State wrestlers to capture his second tournament title of the season. He scored a 5-3 win over Jake Barzowski of St. Cloud State in the title match.
At 184 pounds, Owen Webster (FY, Shakopee, Minn.) captured his first collegiate tournament title. He opened with an 18-2, technical-fall win, then posted wins over two Division I wrestlers — 10-7 over Brady Ayers of South Dakota State and 6-1 over Dylan Anderson of Minnesota — to capture the crown. He is now 11-1 on the season and has won eight matches in a row.
Grant Parker (SR, Onalaska, Wis.), ranked No. 10 nationally among Division III wrestlers at 157, finished in third place in his weight class, with his lone loss coming in a 1:07 pin to Larry Bomstad of St. Cloud State, ranked No. 3 in Division II. Parker had a pin in his opening match and won his last two matches after the loss to Bomstad to improve to 11-3 on the season.
Tanner Vassar (FY, Maple Lake, Minn.) finished fourth for the Auggies at 149, going 2-2 on the day with a pin.
Five Auggies placed sixth in their weight classes: Victor Gliva (FY, Farmington, Minn.) at 125, Mike Hayes (SO, Oconomowoc, Wis./Kettle Moraine HS) at 141, Bryce Zdanovec (JR, Little Chute, Wis.) at 157, Austin Boniface (SR, Wyoming, Minn./Forest Lake HS) at 174 and Sebastian Larson (JR, River Falls, Wis.) at 197.
Husky Open Results
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
• 125: Victor Gliva 1-3, 6th place.
• 133: Monty Frederiksen 0-2.
• 141: Mike Hayes 3-3, 6th place; Justo Ramirez 0-2; Bryon Simmons 0-2.
• 149: Ryan Epps 4-0, 1st place; Tanner Vassar 2-2, 4th place; Joshua Verbeten 1-2.
• 157: Grant Parker 4-1, 3rd place; Bryce Zdanovec 2-3, 6th place; Boone Young 0-2; Tone Fuenffinger 0-1.
• 165: Brady McFarland 1-2; Gable Frandsen 0-2.
• 174: Austin Boniface 2-1, 6th place; Julian Georgescu 0-2; Jackson Graham 0-2.
• 184: Owen Webster 3-0, 1st place.
• 197: Sebastian Larson 3-3, 6th place; Logan Hortop 2-2; Niko Anderson 0-2; Brent Chambers 0-2; Cole Durbin 0-2.
• HWT: Ethan Hofacker 2-2.
• Augsburg returns to action during the holiday break, competing at the Citrus Open in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Dec. 29-30.